Thread: Smoking
View Single Post
Old 2008-05-23, 13:42   Link #64
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post
honestly, do what you wanna do. The fumes that come out of cars are more harmful than cigarette smoke and we breathe in car fumes on a daily basis and in high dosage if you live in a heavily populated city. Life is short, do what you want, granting that its in no way shape or form a good habit, its a terrible habit, but don't let others dictate your decision. If you're smoking, quit because you want to, not because someone is telling you to. Its a lot easier to quit when you're doing it out of your own resolve.
Where did you hear that car fumes are more harmful than cigarette smoke? I'd never heard it before and I'm initially led to disagree. Generally, the only toxic material you hear of coming from cars is carbon monoxide. There are a number of other pollutants from diesel vehicles, and of course both vehicles release particulate matter into the air (which isn't exactly good for your lungs). On the other hand, there are emission regulations and cars are equipped with catalytic converters and such to reduce emissions and/or convert them into a less harmful form. Cigarettes have filters, but who are the filters protecting - the smoker, or the second-hand smokers? I don't believe there are emission standards for cigarettes, either, and I'm not sure how effective the cigarette filters are.

It's also debatable as to whether we receive more exposure to toxins from cars than from cigarettes. The output from both is quickly dispersed into the air to the point that what we breathe in is relatively little - usually. The difference is that cars generally aren't puffing their exhaust in your face along the sidewalk, nor are they releasing exhaust in-doors.