View Single Post
Old 2013-01-21, 23:54   Link #64
GoldenLand
Eaten by goats

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
The counter to that viewpoint is Tomiko. She has lived for a couple hundred years and doesn't report any adults going "rogue" over her life-span. Now she may have been dissembling, but I didn't get that impression during her conversation with Saki. If anything, she was quite frank in her presentation of past events, presumably because she was grooming her successor.
Yeah, I'm not saying that they have seen lots of adults going rogue, but that there is no reason to suppose that the adults are completely removed as a threat after the age of 17. Because their society is one which can't survive a single mistake, it seems foolish of them to fail to have a process in place for what to do if an adult displays dangerous behaviour.

According to Tomiko, before the Fiend "K" 245 years ago, there weren't any processes in place for dealing with children, either, and it's after that point that they changed the legal human age to 17 and started getting killing kids.

They found that "psychological and personality tests could be used to filter out children likely to violate the rules with almost perfect accuracy". But...almost perfect accuracy is not good enough in their society, given the risks. Chances of adults becoming dangerous are low, but do not appear to be nonexistent. I don't see how their systems could pick up in advance on people likely to become karma demons, either.

The adults are still capable of causing catastrophe with their PK, and it appears that many of them are still "sheep" as adults because of the hypnosis. The village still wants to prevent people getting stressed and having their minds destabilised, and that must mean that they don't have perfect faith in the magic of a 17th birthday. So...perhaps that's the answer, that they do still have concerns, but that they find the odds are too low for them to worry about. Which seems like a rather big oversight, but one which they might well make.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
The counter to that viewpoint is Tomiko. She has lived for a couple hundred years and doesn't report any adults going "rogue" over her life-span. Now she may have been dissembling, but I didn't get that impression during her conversation with Saki. If anything, she was quite frank in her presentation of past events, presumably because she was grooming her successor.

It is also implied that puberty is the primary trigger. ...The linkage between pubescent hormones and the potential to become a demon seems pretty strongly hinted at if not explained outright.
I didn't get that from the episodes, other than that of course somebody without PK can't become a demon. Just gave the eps a quick re-watch now, and they didn't really say anything about prepubescent hormones or anything that I could find as a sufficient implication. Who knows, it might be true, but they haven't stated it or explained it.

Tomiko stated that out of about 30 Fiends, all but two were boys (we don't know whether the other two were girls or adults humans). They don't really know what causes Fiends, but they theorise that it could have been due to pre-emptive fear of attack, or to intoxication by endorphins.

For Karma Demons, very little appears to be known other than that it's a subconscious "bad spill" thing that gives a person no control over dangerous PL leakage, and that it affects very nice people more often that not. Shun was a very stable person, so it's hard to believe that the personality testing could have picked up on him as risky before he started to display the syndrome.