View Single Post
Old 2013-02-08, 03:28   Link #77
mrShady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spammowarrior View Post
well, when Roger's crew finds the bara bara no mi, everybody says something among the lines "I heard it's just a legend". That tells me two things:
1) Roger either didn't have a devil fruit or he rarely used it (but even then, to think his own crew members didn't know about it? hard to believe)
2) Devil fruits were very rare just 20 years ago, since even Roger's crew, and we can assume they were well into the grand line, never saw one.

another possibility for 2 is it's just a plot hole, because Oda never intended for devil fruits to be so common
Plothole is my best guess. It's really early in the series so I doubt Oda had it all written down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by golgo13 View Post
Ya I mean the hints of Roger's power it don't allude to the gomu gomu fruit. No one ever mentioned anything about the strawhat so not mentioning the devil fruit isn't really a big deal... Even Roger having a D came later on..

It's possible Shanks was a Yonkou, we haven't heard of many other Yonkous or who came before the current ones, wouldn't be surprised if Oda throws some in later on though. A Yonkou going back to East Blue to train for a year or so and then head back to the new world, plausible if he was a "weak" yonkou or something.. not sure about this.
It can always be retconned, but that would really make Luffy a Roger clone. But yes not impossible more like improbable, it detracts from Luffy as a character and it introduces plotholes.

I base Shanks being a yonkou on his conversation with Mihawk who said it was weird for such a great pirate as Shanks to lose an arm in the weakest sea. And also his 3rd scar which signifies his battle with Blackbeard that suggests they met in the new world (Whitebeard stayed in the NW and Blackbeard was still a member back then). Of course this doesn't 100% proof he was a yonkou and it's just my assumption but it's hard to find definite answers in One Piece.

Any way I doubt training in east blue would help. It might be that they were just taking a vacation, they might also been looking for treasure. What we know is that they used Luffy's hometown as a base and set sail for small periods of time, but it's never mentioned why.