View Single Post
Old 2007-04-15, 21:49   Link #1128
Samatarou
Son of God
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
About the quality of a.f.k.'s release, let me tell you something: I'm currently studying English translation, and what we've been always told at the Translation subject, is that a translation is not a translation of words, but a translation of content and context. You have to bring the content and translate it to another context. That means it should be adapted, while staying as close to the original meaning as possible (a full adaptation is something else, but the process is kind of similar). But yeah, if there isn't any "moe" in the usual speech of Americans, you should find some kind of equivalence for it in the context of an American dialog.
Normally I would agree with you, but ‘moe’ is a word every anime fan ought to know. It’s on the test.

Turning to the mixed response to Lucky☆Star, this is a rerun of what happened with To Heart, where the languid low key storyline charmed some of us but had others jumping up and down with frustration and preparing batches of vitriol to pour over any To Heart forum they found. Comparing the first episodes of each, To Heart has a more definite plot but in both cases the consequentiality of the story is equally prefixed by ‘in-’.

As for the Lucky☆Star OP, I think we need to start a rehab thread since I strongly suspect many people are replaying it in an endless loop and are probably forgetting to eat or sleep.

Finally, a.f.k fansubs—you know, I sometimes suspect this is a front for Kadokawa PR Dept, I mean how does (apparently) one guy have the resources to put out so many well translated fansubs, most of which are Kadokawa titles (Karin, Haruhi, and now this)? How could anyone even translate that OP without inside knowledge of the lyrics? (On second thoughts though, if a Japanese company had a hand in the subs they would definitely be in Engrish.... having seen some of their English language flyers, ‘well translated’ and ‘Kodokawa’ do not belong in the same dimension.) One negative point about a.f.k though, I think they recompress the audio, it is never as good as the raws or other groups’ audio, sometimes I have even ended up remuxing their AVIs with the audio stream from a raw because it grated when listening on headphones.
Samatarou is offline   Reply With Quote