View Single Post
Old 2012-11-25, 15:52   Link #160
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
I agree with you; there is a lot more to Suguha than "pandering", and her role is critical to this arc, not least of which because it helps emphasize Kazuto's feelings for Asuna. She serves as the bridge between the real world and the online world, and helps emphasize the things that have changed in him in the time since he was gone. It helps us to see Kirito from another perspective than his own (and other than Asuna's, whose we generally already saw). It's also valuable in that sense that she's someone who knew him both before and after, and whose love (and her very participation in ALO) may have been precipitated by his absence. Everything is very closely connected.

I too can understand why some might not like it, but I really strongly disagree with the suggestion that it's "tacked on and doesn't really serve any purpose". Couldn't be further from the truth, in my view.
While I do agree that Suguha's role is vital in seeing Kirito from a different perspective, I also believe that the removal of the romance would have been beneficial here. As it stands, the romance distracts from that very role of Suguha and it's removal would allow for more focus on how Kirito changed from Suguha's perspective.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote