View Single Post
Old 2012-11-18, 15:28   Link #58
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJR View Post
Budgeting is based on how much money they're receiving for the job. It doesn't matter how the property might be valued by fans since results are going to reflect how much is invested.
I strongly disagree.

How much the property is valued by fans should definitely be reflected in how much money is invested in it.

If an animation studio adapted an extremely popular JRPG game into anime, and gave it a tinier budget than what they gave a relatively obscure 4Koma adaptation that they were doing at the very same time, you wouldn't see any just reason for criticism here?

Quote:
By the sounds of things, Little Busters may not be as hot of a catch as fans thought
I don't think that's it. I think LB! held out for KyoAni for a long time, and LB! couldn't get them. LB! was going to be challenging, logistically, due to its length and nature of the source material.

It's not that LB! isn't a "hot catch". It's that while it's a hot catch, it's also a difficult one to do right.

Also, TJR, just why do you think this is one of the most heavily hyped otaku properties ever? I honestly can't think of any otaku property that I've read and seen fans clamoring to see adapted into anime more than I've seen with Little Busters!

Heck, I can see some studios being scared away from doing it out of fear that they couldn't achieve fan demands and hence would suffer fan backlash for their efforts.

Quote:

The TBS/KyoAni arrangement was an exception to the norm,
The TBS/KyoAni arrangement showed that a popular VN adapted well could pull down 20K sales, which is megahit status for DVD/Blu-Ray sales.

Amagami SS and Yosuga no Sora also sold very well.

There's plenty of evidence that VN adaptations can sell well if handled well. This is especially true for popular source material, like the prominent Key titles.

Quote:
Time will tell.....

So far, it's looking like a successful move on their part.
Oh? On just what basis are you making this claim? Do you think LB! will sell worse than Nichijou did?

Quote:
After all, even in the best case, Little Busters has no long term significance to the company.
Why not?