View Single Post
Old 2010-10-31, 23:43   Link #254
Falkor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I simply disagree with his argument there. I don't think that you needed this fanservice as a prerequisite for Ayase approaching Kyousuke. I think that this all would have worked perfectly fine without the fanservice. The sibling fight over the box was a considerable disturbance for Kirino's friends in and of itself. As long as it resolved with the two siblings still angry with one another, you'd have a suitable lead in to Ayase approaching Kyousuke. Remember that a big part of why Ayase approached Kyousuke was to explain to him that she could understand the real reason why he made off with the box. Her desire to make such an explanation would be there with or with out the fanservice. One can argue then that the fanservice is entirely superfluous to the scene.

Furthermore, the source material clearly didn't need this fanservice (or not to this degree, anyway), going by what others on this thread stated.
I'm not sure if I'm really the right person to be arguing this. it does not really concern me and I have very little intentions of arguing over a dead issue; all I wanted to do is point out how everyone has only taken the first part of Ricky's post, and not bother to address the point being made.

however, nowhere does Ricky say that the scene was a prerequisite for Ayase in order to approach her best friend's brother. The issue is not why Ayase approached Kyo or whether the scene would have occurred had it not been for the previous fight, it's the fact that she's willing to approach and befriend him, even after witnessing how her best friend was groped by him---compare Ayase's behavior to Kanako's, who leaves right after and ignores him---; she could have done the same thing, but was willing to have a conversation and be friends with him, despite witnessing the same scene that made her other friend run off. I think it adds a certain degree of personality to Ayase's character, and emphasizes both her maturity and sincere concerns for her best friend. This is how I understood Ricky's point of view, and I wished people will do the same. it's not about the fan service being bad or not, or whether the scene should have done without it; it's the effect this has on the story, on the perception of the characters---like it or not, agree or disagree with it, I still think Ricky makes a nice point analyzing the situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Controversy View Post
If it had no consequences, it'd be pointless, but it wasn't, because that scene affected to some degree the way Kirino's friends perceive her brother, and it was also enough of a disturbance that it derailed the situation that Kirino feared would damn her in her friends' eyes.

Yes, it was ecchi. If it had simply been something to distract from Kirino's H-doujin, then perhaps a less ecchi scene would have sufficed. But there's the further purpose of playing up Ayase's personality in that, after seeing such a thing with her own eyes, she is actually willing to approach Kyousuke, clear the situation up, and exchange numbers with him. If it had been a less catastrophic misunderstanding, her kind nature and her apparent keenness on Kyousuke would not have been so emphasized.

It serves two meaningful story functions, and thus I hardly consider it stupid.