Thread: SkullGirls
View Single Post
Old 2012-05-06, 15:32   Link #56
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Tried the demo, feels insanely clunky on XBOX 360 for me because of the controller. PS3 fares better, but then I'm caught at the tutorial mode where it seems like only seasoned veterans of the fighting game genre will be comfortable with.

"j.hk"
"s.lk"
"c.hp"

That's how they direct you for combos. You can't even see which buttons to use until you go into the menu, pull up the config screen and then match them up with the buttons on your controller. Then you exit, then you try it, and then you go back again to find the next one. Annoying for someone who isn't really a hardcore fighting game fan.

Aside from that, the game itself isn't bad. I can't help but feel like 8 characters feels small since I was kind of unfairly comparing it to MY favourite fighter Marvel VS. Capcom 2. The music's nice, the visuals are crisp and clean, but the 8 characters kind of feel as if there's not enough distinction between them to actually really notice during gameplay (at least for me). Sit there and look and you'll see it, but for me I could pick random on every character and not really care. Rina Adachi is helping with a project of mine, so it's damn cool to see her show up as a VA in stuff like this and Castle Crashers. For the VA, it did set a nice setting and works pretty well.

Overall, I think I'd keep the demo and play around with it here and there, but I'm not going to buy it, really.