View Single Post
Old 2009-12-15, 05:06   Link #3374
Cipher

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon4dudes View Post
Because the there was too much simplicity. Lol

No actually English is dervied from Germanic languages, but is also related to French. I couldn't tell you which language goes a certain word is actually derived from.

Just a note, languages usually aren't decided on the spot. There isn't some person or group that said, "I have created this language and we're all going to use it from now on." (Be pretty weird) Though I think Latin and Greek had something like that happen...

In languages that don't really use an alphabet, such as Chinese, characters are dervied from objects of similarity. "Cow" in written Chinese look like a cow's head. These characters tend to change to simplicity. (ie from traditional to simplified Chinese)

Words from alphabetical languages (ie English, French, German, Russian, etc) Tend to be borrowed from one language and may be morphed due to phonetics or to match the alphabet. "Cliche" technically should be spelled "cliché" but there is not accent in English. Sometimes words undergo a change in one nation but not another which speaks the same language. For example, American English - color, British English - colour.

Wow I don't think I really helped with the question, but after typing this, it seems to be a waste to delete it. lol.
not a waste at all. I think they, whoever's in charge, should make it simpler *now*.
Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote