View Single Post
Old 2011-06-06, 13:44   Link #647
Ceral
はりゃほれうまうーっ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkel View Post
And why do you think we've been bringing up other examples of Key products all this time? To prove to you that your preconception is wrong. There is no "Key-like" or "not Key-like" trait in their products anymore. The best you can expect when you buy a Key game is that somewhere in there, there is a story that will try to pull at your heartstrings. If there's anything so much as near to a "Key trait" that would be it. But to make that trait as the main formula of their products is something Key hasn't done, like I said, in years. That is why LB may have offended the purists, that's probably why Rewrite will too.
What key product says that they're going to deviate so much from what they're going to make that they'd start a VN with action as one of their main genres? I was shown pics of Kud Wafter, Tomoya After, and Planetarian, please, there's no more action in these titles than in any other work. I fail to see why these wouldn't fall under the same category as the games that they were born out of. Key's last game was Kud Wafter, are you seriously going to tell me that Kud Wafter was supposed to be the herald telling me I should be expecting their next big title to be "Half" THAT 2nd OP? Planetarian is so short and "Side-Project-ish" that I wouldn't give much credence to it. You're not arguing with purists, you're arguing with me, so please don't mix up someone elses opinions with mine, and I fail to see Little Busters, which IMO is the last game that you should really consider as one of their "Big Titles" as being that different from Clannad. Some of the themes they focused on changed but not their genres. The 2nd OP would suggest a clear genre shift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkel View Post
But who cares? People like that are living with their heads in the ground. As previously iterated, Key has been changing up their formula for years now, and if you don't like it, you are free to leave. Rewrite will have shonen elements. And it will be done in a fashion unique to Key's method of presentation. You calling it "not-Key" is silly. And yes, that 2nd OP is definitely representative of the kind of style they are trying to capture, and we are excited because we look forward to see Key's interpretation on it. Whether you approve of it or not. But that doesn't make it any less Key.

Actually, to think that you've come to somehow "Expect" something from Key that they haven't actually delivered for a while now is actually condescending an extent. It would have made more sense if you complained around the time of Tomoyo After or LB, but now after all this time it's actually reflects more of your selfishness than anything else.

Huh? Are you sure about that? Do you work for Key? What were they trying to represent in their first OP then? That doesn't have any action in it. How about the demo, have you even played the demo? They've kept a lot of what they've had in their main titles. They obviously still have a good game on their hands that uses most of the formulas that they have been using. The 2nd OP is very different though, to say that anything with the Key label has suggested they were going to make something based on that 2nd OP is just plain ignorant.

I am selfish, but that's neither here or there. I didn't complain about Angel Beats, at the time it aired, (Believe it or not) because I treated it as Maedas pet project. They've created some expectations with rewrite, it is one of their flagship bishoujo games, not just a spinoff; They've had an OP and a Demo that had some supernatural themes, stronger than usual, but it was still like their other bishoujo games at their core. You act like LB was so much different than any of their other works, I'm happy if they change the theme of the story, they've done that with every game anyway, is that what you're trying to say? Now if they go away from advancing the story through 95% character dialogue to telling their story through fighting beasts and vampires and I have no idea what else nor do I want to know until I actually play the game for half the game, that's cause to start yelling at Key. The 2nd OP is just like a bad omen.

Last edited by Ceral; 2011-06-06 at 14:22. Reason: Added more to keep from posting too much
Ceral is offline   Reply With Quote