View Single Post
Old 2012-08-27, 12:29   Link #45
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I have not seen an episode carried by nothing more than conversation so elegantly and well crafted since Spice and Wolf and Tatami Galaxy. Okay maybe the level of verbal exchange wasn't as high as Horo and Lawrence, but as the episodes go by Chitanda has become more and more capable of carrying a proper conversation with the usually evasive and sometimes cryptic Oreki. In this episode she's not just relegated to her usual kini narimasu outburst and manages to hold on to talking to him, so much so that Oreki actually WANTS to talk to her rather than his usual desire to just finish talking and go on with his life.

And what was striking in said conversation was that Chitanda wasn't just the kini narimasu initiator of the mystery but an active thinker. Most of the time she actually doesn't seem to be very active in solving it as much as the others, but now she shows to be a highly capable thinker able to corroborate and/or counter Oreki's theories. Oreki even agrees with a lot of them and doesn't treat her with that bothersome feeling he sometimes has. Like I said, it may be a purely hypothetical game to him, but he's clearly enjoying his... uh... solo time with her.

And my favorite part is the final conversation for those two that afternoon. They've come a long way sure from just one sentence from the announcement, and they no longer remember what they were setting out to prove as they got lost in their discussion. It's actually pretty symbolic of their own relationship. From one conversation and one kini narimasu in the club room the red string of fate has pretty much wound them together and has brought them so far in so little time. At the same time, well, I doubt either of them can clearly remember all the little details of their first encounter and what exactly did they seek to prove that day she flashed her eyes at him for the first time.

But Chitanda points out, let them just make another theory along the way if they don't remember. In the end that's really what's important here. It's not so much what you try to reach but what you experience along the way. That shows both in this delightful exchange as it is very much representative of their own growing relationship.

Now someone please by me new ship goggles as mine just disintegrated. Favorite episode of the show to date.