View Single Post
Old 2010-11-09, 11:20   Link #18656
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Look, there's two levels of narrative happenstance I'm getting at here:
  • All the characters are misled by a scene which appears to be what it is not (except possibly the detective). They react as if the scene were as they believe it to be, which the culprit predicted would happen so long as nobody saw through the ploy; this happens to be the most convenient thing for the culprit, even though there was a small chance of failure if the story were "reality."
  • All the characters are misled by a scene because it appears from the story that they "must" be misled. They react in the manner most coincidentally convenient for the culprit.
It's a matter of degrees, I admit, but one is basically acceptable and the other isn't. The question is what breaks the suspension of disbelief.

Do I believe the people at the ep1 shed could've been fooled by someone faking? Yes, especially if Hideyoshi and Kanon were in on it (and that can be justified by their behavior, even if it's not true, so the scene "flows" properly).

Do I believe in a ninja double-swap in ep3? Not in the slightest, and the mere suggestion of it is repugnant to the narrative and laughable to an extreme.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronotrig View Post
But what if Yasu couldn't get someone in the group of survivors to assist her in murder? You're assuming that there are several people in the Ushiromiya family that could be convinced to murder their family members for some reason, or allow someone else to murder them and just stand by. What if that isn't the case?
Lot of assumptions being made there. That Yasu exists, that Yasu is the culprit, that Yasu intends to kill anyone, that an accomplice knows they're helping to commit a murder, etc.

I never assumed anything. You assuming that I assumed that is just... proof of... your assuming... of assumptions. Look, the point is think harder.
This story is a redacted confession.

Blog (VN DL) - YouTube Playlists
Battler Solves The Logic Error
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote