View Single Post
Old 2012-07-02, 10:15   Link #1793
Sol Falling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
So based on this latest episode of Achiga-hen, I'm going to alter my previous theory on why Saki and Teru are estranged from each other. I hope people find it interesting.

Spoiler for Updated Miyanaga Separation Theory:

Well, there you have it. What do people think?
I do think the scenario that you've painted here is probably more or less accurate. On the other hand, I actually still wouldn't go so far yet as to say that Teru is a normal girl, or that she isn't a monster. Although in mahjong terms, Teru did get caught off guard here, and ended up conceding some points to Kuro, I think Teru's moderate response to it came from a combination of the fact that it was the last hand of the game (i.e. thus everything was over after that) and that the change in point totals, in terms of the reduction in Teru's lead over everyone else, was still almost miniscule.

The other aspect is somewhat related to the suggestion Peanutbutter made below: that I do think its likely, that we haven't even seen Teru's full power/potential yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanutbutter View Post
I waited 3 years to watch Teru in action. I won't say it's a disappointment, but I have this niggling suspicion that we have not seen the real Teru yet.

If Saki's +-0 is the counter-ability to Teru's continuous streak, what's Teru's equivalent of Saki's kan and Rinshan Kaihou? I guessed that answer will keep me going for another 3 years.
I also share your suspicion, but not really because I think Teru has a "special move" like Saki's kan/rinshan or anything. Moreso I'd say it's based on the conditions in this match that Teru was playing under.

Basically, I think what Teru's real power is is her mirror ability, which lets her completely analyze a person's core and playstyle. After analyzing her opponents playstyles, I think what Teru does is use pure skill to completely dominate/crush their abilities and continue winning consecutively. Two further aspects apply here: on top of her skill in avoiding/defending against her opponents' abilities, Teru does get a boost in terms of unnatural luck/fate which helps her get the tiles/yaku she requires quickly. However, as a cost/requirement for either that luck or her mirror ability, Teru has to build up her wins in an order of increasing value.

So, by these conditions, I think Teru's play in this match was limited by two factors:

1) Of course, the fact that Kuro was hoarding all the dora, meaning Teru had to search for more complicated hand formations to keep increasing her winnings
2) Kirame's pons. Teru's ability to advance her hand obviously depends on having the opportunity to draw in the first place. Because Kirame kept ponning tiles from the others, sometimes cooperatively even just to let the other players have a chance at winning, Teru often lost her turn. Although Kirame was the best example of this throughout this match, in essence you could just say that Teru was held back by the cooperation of her opponents.

In essence, what I think is the true characteristic of Teru's playstyle is her ability to completely avoid and target your playstyle. By seeing completely through her opponents' abilities, not only was Teru able, for example, to ignore Toki's interference by winning even when Toki made a call and disrupted the winning tile she was going to draw, she was also able to force Kuro to deal into her hand by filling Kuro's hand with too many dora. Because Teru is able to completely see through you and your abilities, individually she is basically unstoppable.

However, in Kuro/Toki/Kirame's case not only were they able to circumvent this via cooperation (i.e. Kirame calling pon a lot in order to skip Teru's turn), but Toki and Kuro were also able to surpass Teru's analysis ability somewhat by evolving their abilities. So I think, in any other match where there isn't a player like Kirame who from the start had devoted herself to cooperation, Teru has the potential to much more completely crush people's individual playstyles, and go on bigger rampages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
The problem I have with that then is thus the choice of adapting the series -now- whereas the manga itself is basically not complete leading to a dead giveaway that things won't go smooth right from the get go. And really, I really cannot consider them as "not main characters" because they are on, well, another side of the picture, so there is really no real hindering factor to set the premise of Shiratodai going on onslaught towards the finals (with Kiyosumi fated to be there), while Achiga girls trying to reach that part as well. The only difference is "how" you do that, which doesn't have to put into something as being overwhelmingly overshadowed this way.
Regarding the adaptation of Achiga now, like I said this is basically appropriate because the anime studios have to do something to make sure the series stays popular, after already almost 3 years from the first series. In terms of the main manga that Ritz is writing the Finals arc may not even be ready/finished 2 years from now, so that's why it was best for her to take a short diversion to create this sidestory while also showing us a bit of information about the A-side of the tournament. I think it's very clear and correct to say that Achiga has certain huge problems, resulting from the inability of Ritz to truly focus on and develop Achiga and their side's mahjong matches, but I think in terms of the job/function that it does which is necessary for the series it accomplishes that more or less competently.

Quote:
The actual problem is that it isn't even because of the Teru matches, but really all "proper" matches were only shown with Kuro being either dominating people or literally slaughtered, either by Toki or Teru. You barely see other girls having like 2-3 rounds within seconds/minutes at best. That's really more than half to what we were presented to, and having a packed screentime for the other characters in the last episodes will just confirm how unbalanced the series was so far.
The only point I have to say here is ironically that even Kuro didn't get much focus in this Teru match except in the last episode. So overall, including the last three episodes which will be focused on the other four Achiga characters, instead of Kuro, in the end I don't think it will be true that Achiga-hen is completely imbalanced in screentime towards Kuro. Actually, the real problem of Achiga-hen will be the lack of focus on Achiga in general (including Kuro). :P

Quote:
It is more the character concept of Kuro that is flawed, not the character on her own. The author basically cornered themselves by using such "gimmick" and restriction for her, to the point that it leads to huge issues snowballing afterwards. Frankly, it isn't the first time Kuro could be in tenpai by discarding a dora in the series, but the problem is how she came to realize it only after so many things that were basically not under her control. Again, the problem is that if it wasn't for Teru forcing everyone to play coop, there wouldn't be any way for Kuro to progress, to which it definitely cheapens such efforts done by her (hell, NONE of the Achiga girls contributed to such development, aside of aiming together towards the finals. By no means we were shown girls discussing about everyone's weakness... hell, Ako -still- didn't get why Kuro didn't discard a safe tile dora during the match against Teru, despite she knows full well Kuro's ability)

Really, it is the whole concept of forcing such situation that doesn't sit well with me: instead of having Kuro cornered and being "guided" by Toki and Kirame, I would have appreciated much more if Kuro would actually had a character development the very moment Toki was dominating her, so having more introspect regarding her dora ability then later a real effort on her own to discard a dora..
I don't think it is really that Kuro didn't "realize" that she should discard a dora earlier, because if Kuro did discard a dora earlier in this match against Teru, the results would actually have been terrible. The suggestion throughout the series actually isn't that Kuro's teammates or Kuro herself aren't aware of her weaknesses but that Kuro's weakness has no real solution, because if Kuro discards a dora then she will stop drawing them. There are/were strong negative consequences for Kuro changing her playstyle, whereas (at least for this Teru battle) the disadvantages were not that huge for continuing it.

Beyond that, I don't think it could be truly said that Toki or Kirame "guided" Kuro to discard her dora. In the end the decision and emotional development for Kuro was her own. The only thing which Toki actually did was to show Kuro that it was safe to do it. Even if Toki didn't do that, Kuro might have had her emotional development (and just discarded her dora, without knowing it was safe); alternatively, if Kuro didn't have her emotional development, she wouldn't have done it despite Toki's actions anyway. It is not like Toki or Kirame could ever really have "guided" or "predicted" Kuro's emotional development, itself, so I think in this regard, Kuro deserves her own credit.

Last edited by Sol Falling; 2012-07-02 at 10:43.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote