View Single Post
Old 2012-03-22, 01:06   Link #57
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsaken_Infinity View Post
English is a rather weird language, most definitely. But I don't think it sucks. It has its merits. It has a larger vocabulary than most languages and it adapts well to foreign vocabulary so it can keep on expanding. It also has such a large volume of literature and is so widespread that there is no way I can agree to a flat out denial of the language's charm. English is a magnificent language in its own right. And it isn't all that hard to learn either.
For vocabulary reason, I really doubt that. I would argue that Malay, Indian, Javanese and some other languages has a lot more vocabs than English. For example, Javanese has different terms for rice which is still grown (still a plant/crop), sown, still hard, already cooked, and leftovers while English Identify all of them simply as “rice”. Another example, English don’t have that many different names for animal off-springs. English does has “puppy” for dog’s offspring but does English has terms for the offspring of monkeys, ticks, termites, crocodiles, etc? One that is obvious is English language doesn't have that much "levels" of formality.

Also, English is pretty hard to learn (especially in speaking department) due to some inconsistency (in sound) in it. For example: the pronunciation of the letter “U” in words like “cut” and “put”. If English is consistent, how can they sound different?