Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2012-11-28, 19:43   Link #24861
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

In my high school days, we had a MocK UN club. We ran as the PLO one year in the mid-1990s. We eventually settled the matter (somewhat) by having "Palestine" as the West Bank with access to Jeruselem, but with a "neutral zone" of I guess two miles in from the 1967 cease fire lines where they Palestinian (and Isreal) military forces would not be allowed for a transition time. If peace lasted, the lands to revert to Palestine. If it did not (and Palestine was to blame) it would go to Israel. There would be strict UN observation of the zone until it reverted to one side or the other within five years.

Gaza would be abandoned by the Palestinians as impossible to maintain due to Israel being between the two masses of land. The locals would be compensated and given two years to relocate to the former West Bank. Those that refused to leave would be assimulated into Israel by law. if they still refused, they would be deported to the West Bank by the Israeli legal system as foreign nationals.

This was about 1993 or so. I don't think any of us had ever heard of the Israeli settlements, if there were any at that time in the West Bank.

We finished early, so the chairs gave us a World War III (or just a general war) scenario to work with based in the aftermath of the Iraqi War and what was happening in Bosnia at that time. The Israeli and Palestinians immediately declared neutrality together, wanting no part in the war since both sides were having to deal with each other politely.