View Single Post
Old 2007-08-10, 19:14   Link #162
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey
You say that the aforementioned system is logically unjustified. Are you implying that the system is flawed because the importance of 2 and 3 follow from placing the importance of 1?
I'm not sure what you're getting at. It's quite natural for my order to be decreasingly important, and I'm not really making any value judgements on that fact. However, Awakened Beings don't seem to even acknowledge the existence of 2 and 3; and this is what makes them entirely selfish creatures.

Quote:
Offhand, it strikes me that the wellbeing of human groups may be important to AOs to the same degree that the wellbeing of plantlife is important to humans.
A much better comparison would be the way human hunter-gatherer societies who hunt monkeys as food. An implicit facet of this argument is that even when we have to kill, it's much better to do so while causing as little pain and suffering as possible.

Quote:
The AOs need to maintain a food supply, certainly. But the guidelines for conduct that follow from 1, 2, and 3 are highly lenient, and how AOs act don't necessarily violate those guidelines. At worst their conduct may be sub-optimal. To sum up: I don't see that AOs would be immoral according to a system that follows from these assumptions.
Most of my points have been about how Awakened Beings treat one another.