View Single Post
Old 2009-03-29, 14:47   Link #49
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

"Occasional" re-used catchphrase? I think that's a bold understatement. The way you can tell Rie has become a caricature of herself is that they're designing roles around her - actually animating the character to fit the franchise. "Look - we got the latest Kugimiya Rie vehicle!" I'm not saying that if I were in her shoes I wouldn't cash the checks, but if the material isn't strong enough to rise above that (as Toradora mostly is) you've got problems.

It's interesting that you should mention Brando, because he very much fits in with the view of the actor I referenced earlier as personified by Nicholson and in VA by Yui Horie - recognizably themselves in every role. But again, I think Brando found a lot of different places in Stanley Kowalski than Vito Corleone. You criticize me for criticizing Rie for using a similar voice in different roles. But these are voice actors - this is all they have to convey their performance. It's more than catchphrases (though they're symptomatic of the larger problem). She uses the same inflections, the same emotional reactions to every conflict, the same simpering tone of self-pity when she's supposed to be sympathetic. I can't be more specific than that - for me, I hear the same voice saying different words. I hear no vocal modulations in Taiga that I don't in Louise - just more interesting words and a little less shouting.