Thread: The translators
View Single Post
Old 2003-12-13, 13:42   Link #7
TiggsPanther
Werepanther

Send a message via AIM to TiggsPanther Send a message via Yahoo to TiggsPanther
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcgreag
Also the translators often target different groups. A fansubber targets the real fans (otaku if you want to use that word), people know at least think they know what many japanese words means and therefore want them keept in the translation. A professional translator targets the mainstream and must therefore make the translation understandable by people that know nothing of japan, even if it means removing or completly changing the meaning of some sentences.
I guess it's one of the inherant problems with any kind of translation. It can be hard to translate context, and you often have to aim your translation at your target audience.

I guess the main problem is that, in many (but not all) cases, the commercial releases and the fansubs aren't targetting the same audiences. There are definitely some great "fan-friendly" comercial releases out there, but the simple fact remains that if commercial translations purely targetted the anime fans, they might not sell so well in the mainstream.

It's not that the commercial translations are bad. It's just as I said, the target audience are different.
Besides, a fansubber is going to produce the translation they'd want to watch.
A commercial company is going to produce the translation that is going to be easiest for the casual viewer to understand.

Tiggs