View Single Post
Old 2008-06-08, 04:22   Link #23
ani_d

I'm dragging Westlo's and Swampstorm's posts from ep. 10 discussion thread to here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampstorm
We know that Ranka is much clearer about her feelings. But to whom where those feelings directed? Was it to Alto, or to Sheryl? As Ranka points out, the crux of Mao's conflict lies with the fact that she loved the same guy as Sara, not with the fact that Mao loved Shin on its own. It seems to me that Ranka's resolution has less to do with making a commitment with Alto, and more to do with taking a stand with Sheryl.

Not that it's a bad thing for Ranka's situation for Alto, either. It's just that Ranka's realization seems more to develop her issues with Sheryl than it does with developing a connection with Alto.
Ranka's fangirly love for Sheryl toned down when she saw Alto and her together for the first time. When Alto gave her a ticket to Sheryl's concert, she wasn't as ecstatic as she was in the first episode. The thought of Alto with Sheryl greatly saddens her. I think she still admires Sheryl, but there's no doubt the one Ranka's looking at is Alto.

This wasn't in the original Macross 0 movie, but before she kissed Alto, she indirectly voiced out Mao's thoughts in her head--that is clearly analogous to her own feelings. She said, "Do you love my sister(my idol Sheryl), Shin(Alto)? Look at me too, because I also--" Love you? I thought it was pretty apparent that this small gesture said a lot about her developing feelings for Alto himself--not her issues with Sheryl 'loving' him as well. I think to Ranka, Alto and Sheryl are already going out now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampstorm
Hmm... I wonder. Why do people sing or fly?

I wouldn't worry so much about the common ground between Sheryl and Alto, though. I see some much bigger obstacles for them ahead, especially in the form of one recurring earring...
Alto and Ranka do have the same mentality. They both have this "I'm not good enough" way of thinking. They both have self-esteem issues, though Ranka was shown to have overcome it a bit in this episode. That's the sole reason why I said, Alto and Ranka relate more in terms of mentality.

About Wesley84's favorite thing--Sheryl's earring, I think that ties in more to Sheryl and not to Alto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo
What's Ranka's trump card?.... I expect episodes 13-17 to be the point where Ranka finally makes a move.
Ranka's trump card--so far. ^__^

Spoiler for Macross preview; line 7:

I can't see Ranka saying this to anyone but Alto. Unless Alto is unconscious or can't hear her, Alto's not going to react with a "K. Fine." For sure.

Quote:
I really doubt we're going to get stuff like Ranka seeing Sheryl and Alto kiss again, and hang out somewhere together and overhear Sheryl on Alto's phone etc for the next 10 episodes... Also I really can't see what else they can do with Sheryl to make her develop her character when it comes to the main trio anyway.
Yes. Ranka did all the cliches, but I don't think the jealousy ends in episode 10 She'll do more cliche stuffs. As for Sheryl's own development, seeing that she always gets what she wants--coz she earned it--Alto becoming an exception to that will serve as a good character development for her. She'll fight for her own happiness...I guess. The underdog image of Sheryl still can't sink in. x__x Sheryl also has her own past. Coming to terms with that definitely will make a great character development. Either way, Kawamori will take care of her. Plus, we don't even know if Ranka and Sheryl are supposed to have even roles here. I don't think Macross history is absolute.

Quote:
Ranka's rise to stardom doesn't mean Sheryl's career will go crashing down like a lot of Ranka fanboys hoped for a few months ago. That sort of thing just isn't logical and makes no sense, and they do different style of songs anyway...
I never thought I'd hear you say this lol It really will be unrealistic if Sheryl's popularity suddenly dropped because of Ranka. She's too popular. It would take a second season for all her hard work to slip away from her. If ever the story miraculously took this route, they better have a believable reason.

Quote:
It doesn't matter how much Alto cares for Ranka she can still easily die.. there's a few Kawamori series where the lovers don't end up together.. and bittersweet endings seem to be gaining popularity these days...
I have faith in hime.