Thread: Licensed Kaze no Stigma
View Single Post
Old 2007-05-05, 23:44   Link #450
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreSage View Post
Ayano is annoying right now (but hopefully she'll mature out of it later ) and her abilities are limited at present as well. I think her calibar would be higher if she hasn't been so spoiled. It's obvious from her over-confident attitude of her ability that the Kannagi family gave her only praise and never really criticize her - a big mistake for a fledgling of any kind in any field. Criticism, although painful at times, can be a great motivation to be better. So she should consider her encounter with Kazuma a blessing, since his criticism and clearly superior skills will force her to better herself in order to match him. However, if she doesn't get this...then the Kannagi family is truly doomed .

Kazuma is as good as he is because of the putdowns he received since he was young (I'm not saying this is always a good thing to be stronger ). The feeling of anger and desire to prove himself to those who looked down upon him drove him to succeed. But I have to say that Kazuma was and has always been a smart kid - he chose to put his anger at his family in a productive way instead of being hateful or fall into depression. The Kannagi family, in their blinded discrimination, have booted out the better of the two potential leaders.

Although proving himself to his former family is definitely a sentiment he harbours, I also don't think it is all he thinks about. Upon his return, Kazuma didn't really seek the Kannagi clan out to prove his powers - he only showed his ability when given the opportunity upon meeting his father again. It is most likely that he returned for another reason as well. The most obvious of what he thinks about the past and about the Kannagi family in general was best seen when he talked to the Kannagi Head about why the Wind clan rebelled - basically, because of the power monopolizing and prejudice attitude of the Fire clan. I think, in a way, Kazuma wants to reveal this unacceptable side of the Kannagi family to the Kannagi family - much like what the current Head is trying to do now.

If Ayano doesn't change...yes, the Kannagi family is most likely doomed . Although as annoying as she is now, I can see an underlying strength in her; that she is probably smart enough to learn and change (hopefully) - just hoping that change to be soon.

I know what you mean. I roll my eyes whenever I chance upon such lead characters before deleting the series. But currently there are a few strong characters. Have you seen Darker than Black or Ghost Hunt? Hei and Naru are far from hot-blooded and clueless . For female protagonists, currently I'd say Clare from Claymore and Balsa from Seirei no Moribito. Thank goodness for strong characters likes these that I have something to watch
Naru rocks. End of story. I consider him a less combat version of Kazuma in a way.