View Single Post
Old 2008-08-24, 16:02   Link #1261
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe View Post
The interesting is, you can come up with a discussion revolving Wesley's comment regarding the Major. In the anime, Motoko is asked why not just get a larger, male body for combat purposes, since that's what she mainly does anyway.
It's even more interesting when you see what Motoko and Balsa have in common — they are both women in a man's world. For this reason alone, there will be many inevitable comparisons between arguably the two most recognisable characters in Production I.G's pantheon.

One of the most prominent themes in Seirei no Moribito involved Balsa re-discovering her maternal instincts, while simultaneously maintaining the role of a stern father to a fledgling Chagum.

In Motoko's case, it depends on which series or movie you draw evidence from. But taking the canon as a whole, the Major constantly confronts questions about her identity as an individual, which naturally includes what it means to be a woman. There were several occasions in both Gigs when she was surprised to discover that she could still feel emotions like love and compassion. In the original Ghost in the Shell movie, she hypothesised that memetic identity is not just retained in the brain, but also in the body. Meaning to say, you can't have an identity without a body — a mind alone is not sufficient. Incidentally, that was why the original Puppeteer wanted to inhabit the Major's bionic body: It had evolved to the point where it wanted to leave a genetic legacy.

And as far as most complex life-forms are concerned, you can't start a family without a "woman".

Therefore, it's correct to call the Major a "man with a pussy". But it's wrong to stop there. There is a lot more to Motoko than at first meets the eye. That's what makes her such a malleable and interesting character.

Just like Balsa, actually. Shame I won't get to hear the American dubs, at least until I find "friendly" streams in the Internets.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote