View Single Post
Old 2009-04-25, 11:01   Link #47
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
None. I don't find it necessary to judge an anime on its loyalty to a source. An anime really should be able to stand on its own two feet.
Okay, this kinda confirms what I was suspecting. For you, Hayate no Gotoku is the essence of S1. For me, it's not - Hayate no Gotoku is the original manga. And here, S1 was no satisfactory conversion.

Quote:
Yeah, but it still demands a transition between a light, frivilous mood in the wacky hijinks type scenes to something more solemn which suitably emphasizes importance and lasting development in the more serious type scenes. That type of transition requires a really deft hand as far as direction is concerned, and I have my doubts that the people involved in this series are capable of making that transition on a regular basis without making it feel jarring.
I see no reason why this would be problematic. There is no hard drama going on here, so that you'd be thrown from laughing to tears. It's rather more subtle. Like having a quiet and slightly downcast Hina walking home unsuccessfully trying to convince herself that what she did was the right thing (ep4). And there, shifting gears was really no problem. We're not jumping from Furi Kuri to Saikano here.

Quote:
I still think that School Rumble had really good characters. When Kobayashi actually wanted to add depth to his characters, he was able to do so quite well and make them strong and sympathetic as well. The problem was that the plot and pacing were awful, and the endless resets made it clear that the number one priority was needlessly stalling and prolonging the story to sell more manga chapters.
Agreed. But if you hate resets, how can you like S1, which was all-filler reset-only?

Quote:
If you kinda assume that anything plot-related in the first season was superfluous (and conveniently ignore the fact that it was based on a manga), then it was a self-consistent work.
Up to ep19 it was following the main storyline fairly closely. Then it entirely _ignored_ the main storyline and went in all-fillers mode. And this second part was like eating baisers - it's tasty for a while, and then it turns shallow. ESPECIALLY if you're desperately waiting for the "real story to begin".

Quote:
Now it's kinda like J.C. Staff has gone "oh, you know those characters from the first season that you laughed so hard at for fifty-two episodes and couldn't take seriously in the least... well, you're supposed to take them seriously now. Oh, and you know that enjoyable humour-style that Synergy executed so well... we're flushing that."
No. J.C.Staff is animating the original Hayate. What you have gotten used to is a caricature of the original. And sorry, if you enjoyed laughing at trivial characters in pointless random settings, more power to you. Heck, even YOU admit that things got repetitive in the end. You seem to have forgotten that manga fans were literally seething at the end?

What J.C.Staff is doing now is getting the show back on track, just where Synergy left it. I don't want more Hayate baisers. I want the meat. And finally I'm getting it