View Single Post
Old 2011-11-29, 06:45   Link #40
Kunagisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Piecing together what the Japanese Wikipedia says on this via the every so useless google translator it dificult. There seem to be five books in this series from 2001 to 2010. This guy has written a lot of other series as well. Mystery and horror it seems. I can't pick out anything really useful in terms of plot that wasn't in the AnimeNews article. I can pick out there seem to be three boys in the cast and up to six girls (one of which being the older college age sister). However I can't piece together if all these characters are in the first book.
Only the first 4 characters seemed to be in the classic literature club mentioned in the first post. Honestly there aren't that many info even in the wiki page.

To add to the intro post by combining few wiki info with some other reader reviews, basically you have the main guy (Oreki Houtarou), who kinda doesn't really care about anything. "If high school life is rose-colored, then this guy is shaded in gray." Extremely afraid of his sister, and obviously very good at deduction but mostly prefer to be in permanent battery-saving mode.

Then the club president (Chitanda Eru), who's an ojousama (...), perfect in everything (... ....), and force Houtarou to do all sort of investigation (... ... ...). She's the second person that Houtarou's afraid of. Her catch phrase is "I, am bothered by it," which she says about everything that she finds puzzling around her. For example, the first mystery in the story
Spoiler for extremely minor spoiler, you can find this in book review:

Lastly the two other members. Guy (Fukube Satoshi) is your typical infodump guy (Watson?), Girl (Ibara Mayaka) is Houtarou's osananajimi with a very sharp tongue.

As with this kind of genre, the strength lies not with the mystery but with the characters? In fact, Yonezawa gets pretty much trashed by die-hard mystery fans. I personally read anything if you slap the word "Detective" or "Murder Case" on the novel title regardless of the actual content, so I'm not as picky about crazy twists and intricate mystery (obviously those are huge +++). I am, however, curious in the horror aspect (which doesn't seem to be showing in the reviews ...).
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote