View Single Post
Old 2004-01-23, 19:07   Link #364
suguru
京都 ikitai~

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTylor
I like the idea of letting fans know that the japanese being used isn't standard, but I had to agree with the people who spoke out against "accented" english subs... Unless you KNOW japanese, and know how outrageous the characters' japanese accents are, seeing them represented in the subs just looks.... unrealistic.

-CaptTylor, translator, Anime4Life
I think the way Miyuki-Fansubs handled it in Comic Party Revolution was good--they mentioned Yuu had a Kansai accent in translation notes at the top of the screen without trying to find a comparable English accent to change the subs. I'm not fluent in Japanese by any means, but even I can tell when someone's talking in Osaka-ben--I'd rather hear the accent than read subs with a different accent. Commercial subs seem to follow that same guideline w/ characters who have an accent--in CCS Kero-chan doesn't say "y'all" (or show any other sign of an accent) in subs, nor does Kitsune in Love Hina. I guess they assume if you're watching the subs you "get" that they're speaking with an accent already--I bet most people who watch a lot of anime can pick Osaka accent out at a minimum.