View Single Post
Old 2006-05-24, 15:51   Link #1077
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by arias
You're believable. But of course, like I speculate; along with many others, Haruhi will probably eventually be portrayed to be a tsundere.

Aren't many characters of many shows like this? Starting out to be one-dimensional and utterly annoying -- look at Now and Then, Here and There, Eureka 7... or basically any show that employs either a bildungsroman technique of a "coming-to-age" story, or a "gradual unfolding" of character technique. Already in episode 8 you can see some of the hesitancy and softness of Haruhi in both her concern of Kyon and also her genuine concern that there was really a murder. But yes, most of the times she seems mostly like a meathead in a chinashop..

I predict that Haruhi's "dere"-ness will increasingly come to the fore as the story progresses. But if it doesn't, then I will probably hold a similar but much milder attitude parallel to yours. I don't think she's mean; maybe narrow-minded (in a focused sort of way) and desperate (to find fun). In the course of that she might annoy and even hurt others (like the many guys that she "accepted" and dumped)... still, "mean" is not exactly the right word to characterize her.
Something just occured to me. Episode 8 isn't as near the end of the series as I thought it was chronological-wise. What was going on in my head is that I thought episode 8 was about episode 12 chronolical-wise for some reason and that I was going to have to see Haruhi being mean for most of the rest of the series. My theory was that there was too little time left to develop her if episode 8 took place where it did in the chronlogy. Now that I see it was episode 10 chronologically, I hope that 4 more episodes is enough to develop her character towards the "dere" personality. The problem is in all honesty from what I've seen in the past, 13-14 episodes is too little time to properly develop a character. However, I sincerely hope you are right. Thanks for trusting me too, I know I sometimes come off as arrogant and biased (My own parents think so too at times, but I like engaging in discussion about these kinds of things, and I often get passionate about certain things (Mecha, Space Opera) like I'm sure most people here are about Suzimiya Haruhi. By the way I'm glad too see another fan of Eureka 7 here as well. You guys are alright really. About everyone being too afraid to stop her, that's why I said I wish Bright Noah were in here to set her straight. I'm trying not too be biased here, but characters in 70's and 80's anime honestly had a lot more guts.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote