View Single Post
Old 2008-09-06, 09:55   Link #1040
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-ring View Post
You really do not understand the model.
GRP is a unit with consideration of those factors.
If a certain time slot has 10 percent viewing rate then the TVCF needs to be shown 15 times, if the a time slot has only 1 percent viewing then the TVCF need to be shown 150 times.
That is why it is called Gross Rating Percentage.
You can consume more percentage utilizing prime time or slowly cook using the more late hours slow time. That is the very reason why anime is premiered at such late hours in Japan.
Well, in that case, it's very simple. They simply settle for something less than 1500 GRP. Besides, given that the viewership in most otaku-anime timeslots is around 2%-to-3% at best, they barely even have that many commercial breaks in one cour.

My main point isn't about the mechanics, it's about the economics. You don't spend more than you can make back. Even if you count all the mixed media together, the entire otaku industry is only valued at around 1 billion U.S. dollars. There can only be so many $3.5 million advertising campaigns spent from that revenue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-ring View Post
And again you do not understand the model, the console manufacuturer will co-sponsor any and all games that is created within their franchise since it will promote the console franchise as a whole.
Whatever you say, man... This is just patently false. There is a review and approval process for most consoles, but they don't "co-sponsor" every game. That's silly. Publishers pony up their own cash to fund this stuff.

Whether I "don't understand the model" or not, there's only so much money in this business. Someone has to pay all these expenses, and games are produced with the expectation of a return on investment for the development company and publishers. Revenue has to come from somewhere, and the amount of interested parties for these properties are limited. If the DS game sold 25,000 copies, I imagine they'll be pleased as punch. Niche is not the same as mainstream. I don't know what else can be said to convince you of that, so I'll try to leave it at this.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote