View Single Post
Old 2011-01-10, 16:20   Link #21446
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluemail View Post
Has anyone seen a David Lynch movie? Umineko reminds me a little of them as they're some sort of puzzles of mindscrew which I think you can solve (not sure about it though, Lynch never comments much on the movies, like Ryukishi). For example, Mulholland Drive has kind of an answer arc at the end. It is a bit ambiguous, but I got the feeling that it gave sense to the happenings in the movie's earlier part. To do that I had to connect the pieces inside my mind.
Several differences here, though:
  • Lynch does provide answers to some extent, even if they don't make much sense, at least in his more coherent films (Mulholland Drive, Inland Empire). Even a confusing and ambiguous one like Lost Highway has a more likely answer than not.
  • Minor details do get cleared up in Lynch's works. The first line in Lost Highway makes sense, etc.
  • Lynch does not engage in public speculation as to the meaning of his own works. He's never said "People just don't get what Eraserhead is actually about. I'm sure they'll understand when they finally do." He just doesn't talk at all about what Eraserhead is about.
  • Lynch's "genre," if you want to call it that, is generally independent of rules anyway. At his clearest, he makes thrillers. The closest he ever came to a mystery was Twin Peaks, and technically speaking the murder in that show did have a clear solution presented, even if it was quite a strange one. We know who killed Laura Palmer. We couldn't "guess" it, but Twin Peaks never really claimed we'd be able to.
The problem with Ryukishi is he's run his mouth, and now he's got to back it up and he can't/won't. If "it means what you want it to mean" and "the answer that works for you is the answer that you should accept" were what he intended, he shouldn't have suggested there were in fact truths.
This story is a redacted confession.

Blog (VN DL) - YouTube Playlists
Battler Solves The Logic Error
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote