Thread: Licensed + Crunchyroll Chihayafuru
View Single Post
Old 2012-03-07, 22:27   Link #1330
syke123

So she regained her passion and managed to come back. I like how this show is progressing, honestly this probably could've happened realistically speaking.

Ayase choked in the middle of the match and lost despite the lead she had, that happens in pretty much anything competitive.

Now the problem is, she doesn't love karuta, but loves competitive karuta. The notable difference is that they both lead you down two entirely separate roads. One being the road of her former victor, Sakura, or the road everyone else tries to follow, becoming queen/master.

But her speed and sharp reflex's prove otherwise, she has the talent but doesn't have the mental build. Unfortunately not a lot of people have the mental build, and those that do don't necessarily need talent. This is what I think Harada tried to teach her by telling her to stop relying on her speed, and focus on overcoming the barrier that made her lose important matches. Combine the two and your good, remove the mental strength and no matter how much talent you have you'll always lose.

I see Arata as the complete opposite of Chihaya, he's mentally prepared but doesn't rely on talent. And by that I mean, the mental block that clouds Chihaya as she plays, doesn't happen to Arata since he doesn't care about the outcome. He obviously wants to win but he doesn't put as much pressure to what happens if he doesn't, as Chihaya tries so hard not to lose that it has the opposite effect. And at the moment I could definitely see Arata holding more than just his weight against Hisashi.

The show feels like their trying to view a modern karuta players perspective and the mental struggles that occur through their daily matches. And I find it's really well thought out, I'd prefer such an outcome rather than an unrealistic scenario where Chihaya becomes queen, and the mains succeed against overwhelming odds.
syke123 is offline   Reply With Quote