Thread: Smile Precure
View Single Post
Old 2013-02-05, 08:15   Link #815
TCman

Just finished watching Smile Precure. I think the Smile Precure series as a whole is a pretty good show. It has such a great start, a pretty good premise, interesting and likable characters (Yayoi is my most favorite character from Smile Precure), while being super funny most of the time; the funniest episodes are the best and they are super re-watchable.

I know Smile is not perfect and it's not as good as HeartCatch Precure was, especially when I expected a way more powerful ending for Smile Precure. The ending is not bad in my opinion, but it doesn't add anything special or new which hasn't been done in earlier Precure or other Mahou Shoujo series, there are no surprises at all. Even the end boss looks kinda similar to the one (in final form) in the first Precure All-Stars DX movie. Though I do like the fact that Candy is the Princess. I guess it's still an anime show for kids, so the producers don't want to make it too complicated for the young audience.

As for the quality for animation and character design, I think they are pretty consistent (most consistent quality is in Heartcatch Precure in my opinion), at least better than the Fresh and Suite Precure series. But I remember one particular episode of Smile Precure in the summer period (the summer festival episode?) was particularly bad in terms of animation and the graphics, especially for the main characters. It's almost felt like the main staff was on summer vacation, while Toei was hiring some replacements to do that episode.

Nonetheless, Smile Precure in my opinion is a pretty good and the funniest (perhaps thanks to Yayoi-chan) Precure show with some flaws (mostly the ending and 2nd part of the show), but it's in no way a bad Precure show like Fresh and Suite Precure were; both Fresh and Suite were really jumping the shark with the direction, story-telling and art direction (very inconsistent and poor art/animation quality).

I am giving Smile Precure a 7 out of 10 (½ point deducted because of formulistic ending).
TCman is offline   Reply With Quote