View Single Post
Old 2010-03-05, 22:26   Link #6
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E. View Post
This has been discussed many times in the past and the issue in every case is almost always people not liking/and or agreeing with the neg-reps they get.
Ok... they why not get rid of the neg-rep aspect of the rep system?

What is the reason for keeping it as is?

Quote:

Or as someone in this forum once said to me....

Just because we don't like it doesn't mean we didn't deserve it.
Just because somebody else felt it was warranted, doesn't mean that it was.

Quote:

I am all for reporting people abusing the system, but that's something that needs to be handled on a case by case scenario.
How can you report people who abuse the system, when neg reps are given anonymously?

Edit: A moderator answered this for me, and I thank that moderator for that informative answer.

Basically, moderators see the poster who gives negative rep in each such situation.

Quote:
This can mean many different things to many different people around here.
Most people, I would argue, have a pretty good idea of what trollish or flaming posting is.

It's certainly not simply voicing disagreeable opinions in a respectful way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
@ Triple_R

You have not searched before posting this right?
Just because an issue was discussed before doesn't mean it should never be discussed again.

Quote:

This "issue" has been discussed before (again and again). There have been somewhat different directions to the topic(s) but this particular point was brouth up as I recall. The (implied) answer is the rep system will stay as-is.
Why? What's the argument for keeping it as is?

Quote:
If it has or not a practical purpose who knows (or actually cares?) the rules is: if you disagree with how it works disable it (via your User Control Panel).
I disagree with this argument.

I do see the practical use of the positive rep side of the rep system. It can reward excellent and thoughtful posters who regularly make superb contributions to the AS community, and perhaps deserve recognition for that.

Vexx, I hope he won't mind me mentioning him, is a great example of this.

Quote:
Please realize the reputation system is a subjective system, you can not apply logic or any objective purpose to it.
Again, I respectfully disagree.

I see a logical value to the positive rep side of the rep system. I'm much more skeptical of the negative rep side of the rep system.

Quote:
Is it important? systems like this are rarely important but as individuals we associate them a high priority (eg. "this is a post, there are millions like it but this one is mine!" ).

In any case this topic will likely get locked soon or after a few pages when the moaning and crying start (ie. "I also got... (examples)" which translate to "give me positive rep please, because I got de-reped"). This is the main reason why every other discussion regarding reputation has been closed (and discussing reputation is forbidden).
If neg reps are causing this much "moaning and crying" for some posters on Anime Suki, then what's the point in keeping them?

Last edited by Triple_R; 2010-03-05 at 22:47. Reason: One issue addressed well.