View Single Post
Old 2009-08-27, 18:27   Link #57
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
Now this sounds interesting. What do you think are some examples of Kyon's snark going overboard? I'm guessing that Sighs has some instances of this (I remember you saying that sometimes one might think Kyon almost hated Haruhi in that story), but do you remember any statements or passages that seem especially negative or harsh?
I'm going to evaluate a few examples of Kyon's snark going overboard, imo. Hopefully, this will help give you an idea of what I'm talking about. Kyon's narration is in quotation marks in order to make it easier to separate from my commentary. My commentary on the quote will be below a line after each one.

Spoiler for Novel 2, Prologue:

The next instance is in Chapter 1 of Sighs...

Spoiler for Sighs Chapter 1:

One short narration in Chapter 1...

Spoiler for Chapter 1 spoiler:

Get a load of this comparison between Haruhi and Mikuru...

Spoiler for Chapter 1 of Sighs:

More Chapter 1 coming up...

Spoiler for Chapter 1 of Sighs:

Now, some short zingers... (my comments for each is in paranthesis).

Spoiler for Sighs spoilers in general:

Anyway... does this prove my point? What do you think, Dr. Casey?

Quote:
The only part where I didn't like Kyon so much (In the anime, I've never read the light novels) was actually his introductory diatribe about never believing in Santa Claus. There's no better way to come across as soulless and obnoxiously pragmatic than to describe at length how you lacked imagination even as a kid... not to mention that sort of conversation always annoyed me back in elementary school. "I stopped believing in Santa when I was six!" "I've known he's fake since I was three!" Yeah, congrats on being the most street-smart toddler around, I guess. I believed in him until I was 10 or 11 and enjoyed Christmas more because of it. The first impressions were forgotten quickly enough, though, as I realized that Kyon was not a pseudo-intellectual teenager as I first thought, but... well, Kyon. His negativity hasn't bothered me that much mainly because it's aimed at deserving targets (Haruhi and Koizumi; with everyone else, he seems pretty magnanimous and polite both in his discourse and internal monologues), but of course I haven't read the novels, where every line of exposition comes from Kyon and we get a better look into his head.
I felt the exact same way over the Santa thing as you did.

In fairness, Kyon's a fair bit better in the anime - they tend to edit out or soften some of his harsher lines. But in the novels...