Thread: .mkv on HDTV
View Single Post
Old 2011-04-27, 14:12   Link #7
mukansa monkey
Pink bug make Amu angry!

I have a Sony HDTV, couple years old, and I'm quite successfully using the method SeijiSensei suggested.

One of the HDMI ports on the back of the TV has an associated pair of RCA audio inputs. DVI to HDMI cable and 1/8" headphone jack to dual RCA cable are connecting my laptop to the TV. The lappy sees the TV as an external monitor, the audio is routed to the sound system... bam, any video I can play on my computer, I can watch on the bigscreen. Oh, and I ordered the cables online. Got both of them, made into a single cable with a wrap, for less than what most retail stores charge for just an HDMI cable. If you can get your hands on any kind of device with video out, this is the way to go.

If that just isn't happening for you, go the Handbrake route (or similar software). Will convert your mkvs to regular TV format, takes care of all the pesky details.