Thread: Licensed Girls und Panzer
View Single Post
Old 2013-03-02, 23:11   Link #4420
arkhangelsk

A few days ago but a few recommendations anyway....

Quote:
Originally Posted by John117xCortana View Post
I've been working on a fanfic GuP idea for a while. There a scene I'm considering where the male OC marches up to Erika and Maho to defend Miho's actions in the last tournament.

"I've had enough of this. You just don't get it do you ? She didn't do it because she wanted to lose. She did it to save her fellow tankers. You're so busy wallowing in your hatred of the 'disgrace of a tanker' Miho Nishizumi who refused to ignore her fellow tanker's lives, which sadly resulted in the defeat of your 'pure' school and family. You're so busy enjoying your wounded pride that you haven't stopped to think about what would've most likely happened if she had ignored them and let them die just so that you could win. Have you ever considered what would have happened if that crew had drowned ? No ? I don't think so. I'll tell you what would have happened.

The families of the deceased tankers would have petitioned for Senshadou to be banned and your school would have been slowly reduced to nothing due to lack of funds ! Do you think they would have just ignored those deaths and just let it be and brush it off like you would ? NO ! They wouldn't have ! Who in their right mind would send their sons and daughters to a school that values pride over lives?

The fact that you'd have preferred to have had Miho Nishizumi ignore them, without even considering the consequences, makes you Black Forrest Peak tankers nothing short of self-centered brats who can't even think about anyone else but themselves. Not only are you failures as tankers. You're failures as human beings."

How would those two react to that ?
I must wonder, why does almost every Western FanFic writer seem uncomfortable with actually working in the all-female Tankeryverse?

That aside, for "pride over lifes", it sounds reasonable but I don't know. After all, countless real life people do voluntarily join organizations that to a great extent put pride over lives (read: the military). Having managed to convince people there that Tankery is good for feminine values, it isn't such a stretch comparatively for people there to be willing to send their daughters to such schools, at least enough to fill the Tankery department of one school called Black Forest (BF has a large tank class of course but it isn't large enough to be a school by itself).

You might want also to look for a guy named Sumeragi in this thread - similar thoughts, if to a much less severe extent, are apparently alive in Japan in certain martial art circles.

Certainly as far as canon is concerned, at best Miho's choice is one of opinion. No one is actually disgusted over Black Forest's priorities like we might here. It is like debating slavery in the mid-1800s, you can argue either For or Against without looking like a monster (like you would today if you vote For). Your OC would be from that universe, will have that same zeitgeist, and so realistically it is enormously unlikely he'd be half as disgusted as you are making him here.

Nevertheless, Sensha-do does not quite saturate the GuPverse like oh say Card Dueling in the Yugiohverse or even Mahjong in Saki, so I think that you are right that Senshadou survives in its present, near no-holds-barred form because it has had a zero death rate or something extremely close despite its apparently dangerous nature.

Since Senshadou is internationally acclaimed in in-Verse, I doubt that one lethal accident will kill even the school. However, it is highly likely the "safety-first" crowd (which almost certainly must be there) would use the chance to push for a large number of limiting regulations in the name of safety. Terrain-use restrictions, button-up at all times ... etc.

(An alternative is that there are actually lots of deaths off screen, but it is accepted in-verse as the price of Tankery. However, in such a case your scenario won't go off at all.)

So first thing I'll recommend is to rework the script to an aggressiveness that will be realistic. Perhaps field the arguments in terms of questions instead of a long statement?

As for Maho and Shiho's response, it is actually a reflection of how strongly you believe Tankery doctrines have penetrated into the GuPverse's society. If it is strong, then they can feel comfortable with just saying sacrifice is a matter of course (so actually canon implies this is close to the correct direction). If it is closer to Real Life, the blow would be more effective and they'll find it harder to reply - still, this is actually a very obvious argument so it is hard to believe they won't have some counters that would at least work in-verse, so again don't write it as if your arguments are necessarily "killer-points"

Last edited by arkhangelsk; 2013-03-10 at 06:37. Reason: Analogy swap to something less provocative
arkhangelsk is offline   Reply With Quote