View Single Post
Old 2008-12-29, 23:25   Link #13348
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to dkellis Send a message via AIM to dkellis Send a message via MSN to dkellis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Did we ever get to the Bamboo Leaf story? How will that one work genderbent. We got relatively tiny Kyonko and Mitsuuru meeting a younger (and likley pre-growth spurt) Haruki. If one follows the story, Mitsuuru is asleep and must be carried by Kyon-chan until they get to the school Haruki has decided to "vandalize"...then Kyon-chan gets ordered around to make a pattern for her future club chief....and give out a "fake" name. I think we decided on something before. The typical Jane Smith as oppose to John Smith....though it might behoof us to look to see what the most common English woman's name is...probably Mary, and go from there. Smith is by far the most common English surname, so that should stay the same.

But what about the situations of having the younger Haruki bossing around Kyon-chan? (and the whole looking for the perfect woman thing that will come up again later...Kyonko's little Ace against the Aliens should they ever try to do something to Yuuki.)
There have been a couple of tries at Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody. Shaoron managed to finish his (here and here), using "Jane Smith". Little has been changed from the original except for replacing pronouns and such.

I got through about half of BLR myself. The first third is here. I've asked about the problems arising due to the genderswap several times, most of which never actually reached a conclusion or consensus.

Tangentially, I actually had a great idea about the "John Smith" thing, but I completely forgot about it. I only remember the problems with the idea, which were that the name doesn't have anything to do with "John Smith", and is a lot more contemporary than the original Pocahontas-related John Smith. But I also remember that it fit Kyonko quite well, and would come naturally to her, although whether Haruki would recognize it is another matter.

So it goes.

Incidentally, if you want to read the bit of BLR after the part I posted, the draft is here:

Spoiler:
dkellis is offline   Reply With Quote