View Single Post
Old 2009-03-02, 01:05   Link #119
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikuchi View Post
I've been watching Victory recently, I'm up to episode 36.
I know that Tomino was depressed and all at that time, but WTH ?

This series is just too horrible for words. Corps litteraly pile up, main char is a kid haunted by Murphy's Law, every new thing seems to be done for the sole purpose of more drama.
There's a fair bit of truth to what you point out, and it is a major reason why a lot of people don't like Victory all that much (Tomino included!). I like Victory a fair bit myself, but that was more in spite of the deaths than because of it. It really should be held up as an example of how more characters dying != a better show.

On the other hand, I find that watching the whole show will make it easier to grasp how good (or bad) it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elindir View Post
I've just started watching Victory Gundam. I'm watching the series in a chronological order, so the last one I saw before was F91. It's a bit odd for me that Victory is set so far from the One Year Far and the well-known characters. I have only watched 4 episodes, I think, but I would have never guessed that this series is set in U.C. if I wasn't told.
There's just about nothing connecting Victory to any of the other UC shows. I think that this is a reason why Sunrise decided to go ahead with different Gundam universes for their later TV shows - it really doesn't make that much difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elindir View Post
I've read that many people consider this show the second best Gundam series after Zeta. Is this actually true? Did you like Victory Gundam?
Victory is probably one of the most disliked of all the Gundam shows; even Gundam X and ZZ are more well-liked. If we count Japan, then the one considered the best is Mobile Suit Gundam, with Zeta coming in second. On the other hand, Victory is my favorite Gundam TV show. It has two elements that I find all too rare in the Gundam franchise: good combat choreography, and good character interactions. Couple those with some of the very nice set pieces later on, and I think that Victory doesn't get anywhere near the kudos it deserves.

By the way, the early part of Victory doesn't really have all that much personality. It picks up for most viewers after they get to space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX-78GP04G Gerbera View Post
The Mobile Suits were great designs; simpler than before, but still powerful, yet still balanced and in synch with the times. At least the League Militaire's and Zanscare's are.
I thought that the mobile suit designs in Victory were pretty good. In looks, they had a lot more flavor than many other designs, and they were often well-employed to boot. Why the heck don't we seen stuff like Zoloats kicking butt any more?

Quote:
The Federation still uses MS and ships from 30+ years before (similar to F91) and still use the Salamis Kai, which was used since the OWY and the Clop and Ra Cailum class from 60+ years before. Then again, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Though it could also be due to the Federation's further stagnation.
The depiction of the Federation is probably one of Victory's weakest points. While it's supposedly one of the most powerful factions (if not definitely the most powerful), it's barely talked about except in passing. We barely learn anything about how it works and all.

Quote:
The battles are also very nicely done and no MS is nearly invincible at all and capable of being defeated in some way; a trait that I like about the Universal Century series' (and a couple AUs like G Gundam, Gundam X, and Turn A Gundam).
Technically, there was one pilot and mobile suit combo that was just about unstoppable save for plot devices; it's just not an obvious candidate.