Thread: Licensed Simoun
View Single Post
Old 2007-08-16, 14:57   Link #2602
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

darthfury78, you seem to be under the misconception that Simoun is based on a manga. It isn't.

Quote:
This is certainly a classic case of a woman's mind forever trapped in a man's body.
I haven't rewatched episode 2 in a while but what makes you so sure? Who is to say that Eri's reaction wouldn't have been the same if the female gender had been chosen for her? Maybe she was crying because she realised she didn't really want to become an adult and pick a gender at all.

Quote:
It's ashame that Erii was made into a scapegoat for this circumstance. I would have loved to have seen a great deal of character development made to her by the writing staff. Erii could have been a interesting character if they had kept her around thoughout the series as a pliot and her interactions with the other cast members. I do feel that the wrong character was used for this controversial decision.
Don't you think that if they have picked some other character to make their point, chances are you would have complained because of the waste of potential character development? Or you liked only Eri at first?

Quote:
I know that this series was aimed at the female market.
It was? I don't think so. The skimpy outfits of the Sybillae and kiss powered Simouns seem to point at an ambition to lure the fans the of non-subtext yuri most of which happen to be male.

Quote:
I was refering to Simoun becoming a potential mainstream series that could have gone on to becoming a commercial success at the level of Eureka 7 or Dragonball Z if the yuri and the trangender elements were removed.
The transgender aspect is like half of the coming of age process for the characters which is basically the whole point of the series. How exactly do you imagine Simoun without it?

Matrim is offline   Reply With Quote