Thread: Licensed Simoun
View Single Post
Old 2007-08-20, 12:43   Link #2620
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Quote:
So starting over is the best solution if the creator chooses to. It's been done to a number of anime titles in the past.
For example?

Quote:
But one thing is certain, I doubt that the creator of this series will ever attempt to create another series that was similar to the controversial elements which plagued Simoun to the point that it can not be marketed properly.
Once again, what makes you so certain that "the controversial elements" were the main reason Simoun could not be marketed properly or cannot be marketed properly in the future? Maybe that's true for the US to an extent but unlike many much more popular series at least Simoun got licensed. As mentioned, the inability of the creators to pick one single target audience group is a lot more likely to have hampered the anime's popularity than any controversial issues. Anime is too commercially orientated as it is, why do you feel the urge to create hyphotetical scenarios in which non-mainstream series become mainstream by basically throwing out of the window 90% of what made it memorable in the first place? And even from a commercial point of view, if a studio never veers from the non-risky mainstream path, it cannot come up with a huge hit which is wildly popular mainly because it offers something new and different. As you said, it's a trial and error process and the errors are of course a lot more numerous from the successes. Does it mean we have to demand a mainstream remake every time a non-mainstream anime fails to achieve financial success? Why do we need a manga, hentai game and I don't know what else that much? Does every franchise have to be milked mercilessly and to be dumbed down in the anme of commercial success at all cost? Everything is about the money if you ask the majority of the producers, of course, but if you ask me as a viewer, the day when anime becomes absolutely all about the money, with no creative freedom whatsoever, would be the day I will stop following any new series.

Quote:
And yes, the new version would have nothing to do with the original version because it was not considered a market success.
And again - why not create a completely manga with a different name, then?

Matrim is offline   Reply With Quote