View Single Post
Old 2012-04-22, 15:50   Link #516
Sol Falling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereminVox View Post
To be honest, I wasn't really feeling this show, but I cracked up at Medaka's "Welcome, Armed Insurrection" party. Maybe I'll just take a little break and watch the next few episodes all at once.
Medaka's cracked up unconditional love for people is one of the great things about her, once you can actually convince yourself that she's sincere. I had issues with early-series Medaka because her exaggerated "humans are fundamentally good" perspective lead her to make up (and believe in) tragic backstories for any flawed person she saw doing something negative (like the delinquents in ep. 1). In the beginning you can rightfully call Medaka's "love" for people absurd and shallow. However, as the series proceeds there are more dimensions added to it which is combined with development for Medaka herself, so that ultimately I think what you come out with is an extremely likeable and inspirational character. In essence, a great part of my enjoyment of Medaka comes from how I've watched her growing/changing and turning around. That is to say: for certain, at the start, Medaka is not a perfect or completely likeable character (far from it, really). However, for her own part, Medaka does have her particular points of charm.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote