View Single Post
Old 2008-02-21, 06:59   Link #131
Owaranai Destiny
Nick of Time~

Send a message via AIM to Owaranai Destiny Send a message via MSN to Owaranai Destiny
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimkill7 View Post
Am I the only one who was annoyed by this episode? Yuji FINALLY drops his dumb harem guy persona and actually works towards something, and every single character in the show is all over his balls for it.
Hmm...Well, first of all, he's literally working towards this 'something' without really taking the advice of the experts in the field-Margery, in particular. It just didn't feel like Sakai Yuuji at all, to reject advice regarding 'spellcasting' from an expert and causing her to put off training for a day because of his obstinacy. I highly doubt the Flame Hazes or even their Ous are belittling Yuuji (Praised him for his apparent change in attitude, even), but since they know what it's like to be training, you ought to listen to them before shooting your mouth off and biting off more than you can chew.

To put it simply, Yuuji dude, this isn't a typical Shounen anime.

His urgency is understandable, but his attitude isn't.

Quote:
I can't really fault Yuji for the things he said in this episode as they were absolutely correct. Sometimes the cold hard truth is best. If he goes back to standing around like a moron and screaming his lungs out whenever a Tomogara shows up, I can only blame the other characters for halting his growth.
Absolutely correct? As in which of his statements?

And what's there to blame? Shana was worried about him, Kazumi was worried about him, Margery was dishing out advice as an expert in her field. They are either concerned or trying to help him. What's wrong with that?

I think I mentioned earlier that Yuuji was actually lying to himself in those conversations he had. Of course, I was convinced at first that some sort of iron will was born in him, but the thing is, he isn't even paying attention to Shana when she asked him to come with her to buy Melon-pan, the very person whom he said he would go with away from the city. It's hypocritical in a sense, and I assume that might be why Shana felt something was off.

In another case, when he was talking to Shana about leaving the city, it seemed as though he was somewhat worried about his mother. His attempt to make the whole thing casual was poor. If Yuuji had really decided on leaving the 'human' world behind, he should have taken the initiative to make sure there was nothing he could worry about.

As much as his attitude is commendable, and I would love to see him in action with Blutsauger, I don't like this kind of half-assed resolve from him, and maybe Zarovee might actually help him truly strengthen that.

EDIT: I know I'm one of the few who disapproves, but perhaps we can take the Kazumi-bashing somewhere, say, into a character discussion thread, hmm?