View Single Post
Old 2012-09-26, 04:58   Link #1549
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluelittledino View Post
I wanted a movie even before the show ended

Right now I'm 'wasting' my time by listening to the songs one by one and doing nothing else~ (I don't feel it's wasted anyway)
It's a popular thing to say that "Tari Tari is well-executed at what it does, but I don't think it will be remembered" atm. Imo, I call bollocks on that. In terms of slice of life/drama TV series (not including movies, I consider them a different medium altogether really partly due to budget differences), I can think of two that were of comparable quality in recent times and that was Hyouka that also recently ended and Usagi Drop of last year.

Everything else despite "ambition" as many people seem to look for in series, either fell on its face on more than one occasion, had some supernatural gimmick or two, artificial melodrama and/or pacing problems. Personally, "ambition" or "plot" is not a trait I look for in slice of life/drama (that's more so in fantasy, sci-fi or intended "epic" series) but rather how relatable it is. Subtleness, Genuinity, Understatement, Sentiment and how much heart it has in general are all virtues I look for. Tari Tari had ton of this, albeit it wasn't absolutely perfect - it was very close.

Plot devices for drama, excessive "moeblobs", exaggerated melodrama, Obnoxiousness, pretending to be something when it isn't and generally trying too hard to evoke an reaction are elements that put me off. Don't think I need to repeat myself on examples

EDIT: Forgot Wandering Son. My bad.

Last edited by Pocari_Sweat; 2012-09-26 at 05:19.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote