View Single Post
Old 2004-12-24, 19:33   Link #15
[DOT].L
Delightfully lost...
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccardoso
Hello,
I was thinking why human shaped robots aren't used in actual wars in the place of normal soldiers. Is it a techological problem or what? After all robots are much better than simple soldiers...
i take it the key words r "human shaped".. my guess is it is much easier to use non-human shaped robots with greater effectiveness than to use human shaped robots that require more advanced technology and cost.. the biggest problem we have on making human-shaped robots is that we cannot get them to walk properly.. currently the most advanced walking robot is Honda's Asimo (spelling?), it is able to walk somewhat like a human but only at a slow speed.. so right now wheels r better than legs when constructing a robot.. another techonological barrier we have yet to overcome is the replication of the mechanisms of the human hand.. it is extremely complex and difficult to reproduce.. i would also like u to clarify on the exact size u propose these robots be, if they r gigantic like in the anime then it would be extremely impractical since they will be very hard to replace if destroyed.. i doubt any government will take such a risk to fund such a risky project..

but then again the japanese government might be already developing their first gundam prototype and is prepared to use it to take over the world..
[DOT].L is offline   Reply With Quote