Thread: Licensed Girls und Panzer
View Single Post
Old 2012-11-21, 12:52   Link #1450
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
I think its more of delaying tactic or act of desperation.... Anyway, I doubt those tanks would try to sneak without infantry support. They'll be easy target for mines and C4
It's pretty common since uneven combat shows up all the time. If you're on the defensive, you can either retreat or pull back to an ambush position, but if you're on the offensive, you have to either engage or choose an alternate path of advance. Since the latter is not always feasible, a lot of those uneven fights have to be pursued. It was probably most common in 1941, but the Germans had to do it whenever they launched limited offensives in the East during 1944-45 as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
By the way.. does the Panzer team have a match against the Shermans if this is real? That includes the terrain? I thinbk it'll ne sided in favor of the Shermans, right? Unless the Panzer got them 88s.
They would have a chance if Ooarai was defending and the Shermans had to attack. The three big AFVs have a chance of penetrating a Sherman from any angle at closer ranges (<500m), and the 38(t) can do so against sides and rears. What they would have to do is perform ambushes, and then consistently withdraw to alternate ambush positions to the rear. The key is to never be spotted for very long, maybe just firing 2-3 shots from any one position. If they had more lighter support units like infantry and AT guns, this scenario would be pretty similar to what the German army had to face in 1944-45 on the Eastern Front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
On a 1 to 1 basis, the Shermans were able to fight III & IVs on even grounds with no significant advantages, but were gradually outgunned by the upgraded IVs, such as the Ausf G, which was armed with a 75mm high-velocity. In my opinion, they were certainly outmatched by 1943. Upgrade to the Shermans was slow and controversial. Bureaucratic intervention also played a role in delaying the deployment of the Pershing, which was allegedly to be sooner than 1945.

The 76mm did not come into mass production until 1944, and even then, it had power that was only comparable to the German 75mm KwK 40.
Regular Shermans are quite a bit better than the best Pz. III, and it's as good as a Pz. IV with a L43 gun. The 76mm versions are about equivalent to the L48 gun, and they'll have better penetration if they use HVAP ammunition. Sure, they're not as good as Panthers and Tigers, but those were relatively rare vehicles that were predominantly deployed on the Eastern Front.