Thread: Licensed Simoun
View Single Post
Old 2008-06-09, 01:08   Link #2831
Bloodseeker

*is about to start watching Simoun*

I keep seeing this mentioned in "shows that more people need to watch" threads (it couldn't be as bad as History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi in this field, though; it seems like Simoun threads pop up on /a/ once every few weeks, where as Kenichi talk anywhere is kind of rare, and I definitely notice the latter more than the former when its around, since I like Kenichi a lot) and keep hearing talk about how likable the characters are, so I figured that I'd check it out.

Of course, I have yet to see a lesbian animu that I really liked (unless you count Mai HiME, but Mikoto, Shizuru, and the glasses chick were all supporting characters with unrequited love, so I don't really consider that to be a lesbian anime), and I've seen people compare it with Last Exile in terms of how it tells its story (which I enjoyed, but more in a 7/10 kind of way... the story telling felt kind of slow for some reason; looking back, I don't think that I'd rewatch it), so...

Also, Floe and Yun are hot. >_>

I'll comment as I'm watching.

Episode 1:

-OP is exactly what I expected it to be from the look of the show: .hack mid-episode music-sounding OP. I always find these forgettable, even if I watch the OP a dozen times over the course of the series.

-The king demands that all female pilots make out before takeoff!

-The art style kind of looks like it was supposed to be budget friendly...

-You're an idiot, Naviril. That's a fighter jet, and you're a guard. They're not maintaining the simouns (and paying for fuel if it needs it) and paying to train you and have you fly it just to "please the divine will".

-Drawing magic seals in the sky with fighter jets. That's an interesting concept.

-Hey, we're about to be shot down unless we do something. Let's make out.

-Good job, Neviril. Your hesitation got your partner killed.

-Sky diving without a parachute.

-The others need to learn from Aearu's backbone.

-This episode didn't remind me of Last Exile at all aside from both of them having planes as compared to mechs.

Episode 2:

-Aearu don't need none of your fancy magic seals to shoot the enemy down!

-All people in Simoun come out of the womb female? I'm surprised that half of them chose to be men. Getting a sex change would be beyond awkward.

-Persistence works.

-"If I don't become a man, I'll limit my career choices!" Wow. That's a surprising thing to hear considering that they all start off as girls. Do they forbid women from some career fields in order to provide incentive for them to turn male?

-You know, for constantly being praised for being beautiful, Neviril isn't all that hot.

-Onashia looks evil.

-Prepare to sprout a dick.

-Don't worry. I'd cry too if my manhood was going to fall off and turn into a slit over the course of course of the next year or so.

Episode 3:

-Haven't really seen much of any of the characters except for Aearu and Naviril (like the former, indifferent to the latter), but I get good vibes from Floe and Morinas too. (I get dull vibes from the rest, though) Looks like this one is going to focus on Morinas, and she's with Floe in the OP... Morinas and Floe episode?

-"If you want to become simoun sybyllae. you should walk proudly, without fear." You wouldn't guess that that was part of their code what with all of them cowering in the first episode and 3 of them running away afterwards. >_>

-Actually, my opinion on Neviril is starting to border on dislike...

-Now that I think about it, its kind of surprising that Aearu and Morinas want to pair up with someone that's pouting in their little corner. They both seem like the sorts that have no patience for procrastination

Episode 4:

-Paraietta is just jealous because she's not as likable or awesome as Aearu and Morinas.

-You're so tasteless, Aearu. Morinas >= Floe >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Naviril.

-Argh. Quit holing yourself up in your room and acting all self-important, Naviril.

-Not quiet as good in hand-to-hand combat as she is at flying a simoun.

-He's so sick that he even thinks in pained gasps.

-Protip: Keep a gun on you in case you ever happen to crash near the enemy.

-No, you standing there and yelling and waving your hands wouldn't make the ploy obvious at all if he were still alive to fall for it.

-*Limone cowers and cries* This is why lolis don't belong on the battlefield.

Episode 5:

-Limone's been traumatized.

-First an incompatible partner, then a traumatized partner who's not as good as she was a few days ago... Aearu's just not having any luck.

-I like Floe otherwise, but she needs lighten up on Limone.

-At least Floe's trying to empower her a bit now.

-This is what you get for putting a traumatized loli in the pilot seat.

Episode 6

-It would really suck to become a man in Simoun-verse... unless you get lucky, you're always going to have a girl's or little boy's voice. Even if you become rugged and muscular, you're never going to be truly manly.

-The uptight tool X the glasses ***** that's a jerk to her sister. My OTP.

-I can see a wrecked mental state from shock or grief or loneliness or something, but THAT'S why she hasn't continued piloting yet? It pretty obvious just from the bit that they showed of Amuria that she'd get on Naviril's case for not continuing to lead and pilot.

-At least the glasses ***** has Neviril right. Damned spoiled brat.

-Don't forget who you're talking to, Kaimu. Paraietta is Naviril's *****.

-"I think she's probably lonely. Everyone must be." And having Naviril go back to being in command will fix that? Naviril may give them some organization, but she doesn't like the type that would help the group socialize and have fun. That seems like Aearu's, Floe's, and Morinas' territory. They're the cheerful social butterflies. Then again, I guess that Naviril back in command = they start getting missions = they stay busy + they start working together more = they're not lonely.

-Kaimu's more likable when she's not interacting with her sister. Then again, she has a crush on Paraietta, so...

-Incest, sister, test, etc.

-She was afraid of betraying Paraietta again? That's even dumber, considering that Paraietta has made it clear that she'd prefer it if she continued piloting.

-So she's given up on her? Does this mean that Paraietta is going to stop being a tool now?

-You wouldn't guess that Aearu was any good in melee combat from the way that she got her ass handed to her by that fatally ill guy.

So far, as far as yuri series go, it already has KnM beat just by having main characters that I actually like (I was always split on Himeko and thought that Chikane and Soma were merely decent; the only characters I liked were on the villain side), and it doesn't seem like its going to suffer from the same problem that killed YamiBou (boring lead and irritating antagonist), assuming that it doesn't REALLY shift the focus away from Aearu and onto Naviril, which I don't think it will. (I get the feeling that they're going to have the duel lead with equal focus thing going on once Naviril finally decides to stop moping, kind of like what Nanoha does, except with both leads being well developed)

As of episode 6, Aearu's my favorite, though I like Floe and Morinas too, and Paraietta and Kaimu have potential to become likable. Limone is alright.

I don't like Naviril... and for some reason, I'm getting the feeling that I'm going to dislike her for some reason or another throughout.

Last edited by Bloodseeker; 2008-06-09 at 03:25.
Bloodseeker is offline   Reply With Quote