View Single Post
Old 2011-04-12, 14:54   Link #393
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
I mean since they boast a good record at adapting KEY VN's, why not try adapting a VN of another type? For example, I know you reviewed Sharin no Kuni Himawari no Shoujo and liked it, could they manage to adapt a story as difficult as that one? It seems to contain elements that they'd be good at expressing, but at the same time poses a unique challenge (It has many darker elements, and the main lead is often not the nicest guy).
Quote:
Heh. Well I guess I have no choice but to check it out. I only ever saw the first season that was made by Gonzo mainly, where I was left pretty uninspired in a lot of episodes, so I never went past that. I guess I'll go see if KyoAni can provide a better adaption .
Oh believe me, they certainly are capable of that. Again, I do not want to overhype them, but if you check out TSR, you will realize that "darker" themes are indeed within their possibilities, to the point it arguably puts Gonzo's adaptation to shame in some aspects. The mood of TSR is by far a complete overhaul which is noticeable big time over the first 4 episodes, but the last episodes are basically a complete deconstruction of the supposed "happy go lucky" seemly setup: war is present, and they aren't on a school activity field trip.
This season alone is a proof they really have competent staff to deliver dead serious stuff (or hilarious explosive humor, as shown in Fumoffu), so I would be entirely positive should they pick something like Sharin no Kuni.

That being said, explained by Skane already, Gonzo's season is watchable, and you have to go through this stepstone to fully understand and enjoy TSR (and Fumoffu inbetween).