View Single Post
Old 2011-08-26, 15:09   Link #77
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellissier View Post
Anyway, I think that the sole fact that the whole series was set in a hot-springs inn, called for fanservice to begin with.
I disagree. I think this show would have been perfectly fine without the level of fanservice in it. Does having a hospital setting for a show "call" for lots of gorey scenes involving surgery, or can the show function fine without it?

In my view, this is a discretionary matter up to the makers of the show. So is the level of fanservice in Hanasaku Iroha.

Quote:
Otherwise, they could've chosen a different setting to tell their story.
What difference does it make if it's at a Hot Springs Inn, or at a non-hot springs Inn/Hotel? The story and its characters would not be significantly different at all due to this change alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
Canaan (a PA Works/Okada collaboration from 2009) is fairly similar to Hana-Saku Iroha in fanservice level (the "fountain" scene always cracks me up). And she's done series composition for everything from fanservice free shows to Kodomo no Jikan, one of the most infamous lolicon fanservice shows ever. So her record on ecchi is all over the board.
How many of those are adaptations (where Okada is simply handling adaptation work) and how many of those are anime originals (where Okada is basically writing a story of her own creation, and not merely helping to adapt another author's story for the anime medium)? I think that Okada's work on anime originals is much more telling here, as these are her creations, story-wise.

Kodomo no Jikan was originally a manga, wrote by Kaworu Watashiya. Okada merely helped adapt it into an anime. So I don't think that says much of anything about Okada's approach to ecchi in general.

I really don't see much reason to think that Okada is a big fan of ecchi.