View Single Post
Old 2013-01-06, 14:44   Link #21
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
That's because being a little sister is a trait that is only interesting if she's the sister of the protagonist. It's the special relationship they have with their brothers that set them apart from the rest of the cast. The little sister of a friend of the protagonist is nothing more than just another girl for the protag. There's no extra flavor.
I don't agree with this. In my opinion, the friend's little sister would fill a gap between real little sister characters and the little sister type character who calls the lead onii-chan without having any relation to him on the familiarity scale. That's why I'm surprised it's so rare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
The Wingman generally isn't important enough to warrant having a relative be an important character by sheer virtue of being his relative. Sunohara is the exception, not the rule.
It's not necessary for him to be as important as his sister though. Bakemonogatari introduced Nadeko as a friend of Koyomi's sisters long before those sisters got any real role in the story.

And even if the older brother plays an important role in the girl's storyline, this doesn't necessarily require a lot of setup. For example, Yuuko's older brother in EF: A Tale of Melodies (granted, not a friend of the protagonist). He's an incredibly important character ot Yuuko's storyline, but I don't recall him getting all that much screentime prior to this being revealed.

Overall, it would appear to me that writers would have a lot of flexibility in regards to how important the older brother should be and how much screen time they'd get.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote