View Single Post
Old 2012-10-18, 08:31   Link #1591
ViolentLove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
I know people will point toward MSNBC as the "Liberal Fox News", but it's really not. I will admit that the later evening hosts are definitely more liberal though.

There really is nothing like Fox on the left, or the conservative viewpoint machine at all really. There's a strong element of propaganda to it, sometimes Orwellian even. This isn't to say that a form of this doesn't exist at all for the left, but I'm not going to play the "both sides do it" card - conservative messaging is simply better run, bigger, more pervasive, and better funded.

What I find most disturbing is how Fox and other conservative outlets play the underdog card. They constantly hammer into their audience that mainstream media is liberal and full of liberal bias, even though Fox dominates cable news ratings, conservative books top best seller lists, and figures like Limbaugh and Beck rule talk radio. I'm registered as a Democrat.....but I've received far more flyers, mailings, and robocalls from conservative PAC's who all claim that Obama is the worst President in history.

To be honest, this is why news should be boring. I'd like to see these pundit shows called for what they are: editorial content. They're opinion columns, nothing more, but because they can fill airtime and generate ratings, they're everywhere. It's great that these shows, when done with some seriousness, can really dig into issues and hopefully be more informative, but because everything demands "spin" and "narrative", any relevant information has to fight through hearsay first and hopefully not come out distorted in the echo chamber.
All the big mainstream news outlets in America are part of the system.

If you want to stop the people from rising up, keep them divided and fighting against each other. The purpose of mainstream media is to give them false and irrelevant information to divide the masses, while directing attention away from danger i.e. Ron Paul.

The presidential debates are exactly that. Two sides who are only pretending to be opponents. They are actually on the same side. There's nobody who becomes US President who isn't a part of the in-group, and however bad people think Bush was, Obama took Bush's every policy and expanded on them. The punch line is that it's not even Obama's decision. He's there as an international mascot. A face to make people happy.

Divide and Control. Illusion of choice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
If I am a dictator, I would love your kind of nihilistic cynicism.

It is the naive, the dreamers, those willing to speak up, those desperate enough to fight, to live and die for idealistic hopes of liberty and equality that I would fear. You will whine and sleep; they will fight and take me down.
Actually, the biggest threat to a totalitarian system is the light of Truth - those who seek Truth. That's the only thing that will turn over the system. Trying to "fight for liberty" within a corrupt system is like two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.

Whether they assassinate Barack Obama or Ben Bernanke doesn't matter. They're replaceable puppets. The real danger to them is if people wake up to discover the truth of what's really happening in America. If you simply "fight" against those in power, they will laugh at you, just like they laughed at the whole "occupy wall street" joke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
What about in places where there is no mass media?
Democracy is always a path that leads to totalitarian rule because public opinion is always subject to propaganda.

Last edited by monir; 2012-10-18 at 10:10.