View Single Post
Old 2010-06-24, 11:44   Link #11548
Oliver
Back off, I'm a scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renall View Post
Rosa was probably picked to be the "survivor" in ep2 as the odd parent out, since she isn't married and they needed only six victims. I have very little doubt that, if the FT is generally faked, "Beatrice" told everyone about it, they agreed, the plan was put into place, and Rosa went off to do her part fully aware of the script.
That leaves the bigger problem of figuring out why the fake first twilight happens at all and why is it agreed to. While innocent and not so innocent pranks in this fashion do exist, the atmosphere it starts from isn't right for an innocent prank.

Imagine you're Beatrice. Surely, if you have a powerful enough lever, like the gold, you may be able to convince people to participate willingly, but why exactly do you want it to happen? If you cannot explain that to people in a way they will understand and accept, they are very likely to think it's all a complicated setup to manoeuvre them into a vulnerable position, these people are all old enough to know that the most plentiful source of free cheese is by far the mousetrap.

In fact, suppose a "Beatrice" appears before the family in person, drops a stack of gold on the table and says "I want you to jump just so high, not too high, not too low, exactly that." Even if those present are sure the gold is real and there's more of it, the recognition that there's no reason for them to believe the "Beatrice" will hold up her end of the bargain will stop them and require believable explanations why "Beatrice" wants it to happen. They will want to know whether the end result of "Beatrice" reaching her goal will not hurt them more than her compensation can cover.

If, in case of an Ep5-style setup, where the fake First Twilight apparently happens as a method of collectively getting back at Krauss and Natsuhi for structurally very similar treatment, the motivation is understandable, in case of Ep2 in particular the motivation is not very clear. While I previously wrote up a theory that would explain Ep2's motivation alone, it obviously doesn't work with Ep1 or Ep3.

This link has been determined hazardous for the spoiler averse
by the Department of Education.
(updated 2010-08-24)
Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote