Old 2009-11-13, 09:35   Link #14
Cyrus17
Impostor Cutie

Some info on Kuroko's special manner of speech here:
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...89#post2755689

I'll quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansalem View Post
I believe you are referring to her habit of ending every setence in ますの (masuno)/ ですの (desuno).

In general, Kuroko speaks in a more polite fashion than is normal for the relationships of the people with whom she is speaking. I don't know how you know about Japanese, but there are basically three levels of politeness: short-form, teinei (masu/desu-form), and keigo+humble. Kuroku pretty much never uses short-form, with which you would generally speak to friends and family, using instead more formal language.

Nodesu/ndesu/no/nda is a sentence-ending grammatical form with a variety of implications, such as showing explanation and giving emotional emphasis. Kuroku makes excessive use of this grammatical form, specifically "no." No is a variety of ndesu usually used by women (and children) when speaking casually, added to the end of short-form. However, when speaking in teinei as Kuroko usually does, it is normal to use short-form + ndesu. This is both polite and neutral. She instead adds no to the end of masu/desu, which is very unusual for a normal person. (and drives me crazy listening to her) As someone suggested, this may give her a lady-like quality to her speech I guess, since no is mainly a female-ending. She also uses the sentence-ending particle wa, which is also feminine and not irregular, but not as often as she says nantoka desuno, nantoka shimasuno.

So in summary, her speech is polite, feminine, and very weird for a high school student.
and
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yufankun View Post
Kuroko's use of keigo seems to be derived from the fact that she goes to an ojou-sama school, tokiwadai, meaning she basicly is a rich "high-class" girl, so her speech pattern is meant to reflect that. It's part of the whole ojou-sama image that Uiharu has such a fetisch for. In the first couple of episodes we get to hear other tokiwadai students speaking and they also use keigo. In fact, the only tokiwadai student I can think of that doesn't follow this speech-pattern is Mikoto who speaks more like a normal student would.

Also, Kuroko's (over)use of no at the end of most of her sentences seems to be a personal quirk of hers. Adding the same particle at the end of most sentences is fairly common in characters that are meant to be cute/funny.
Black Seppuku Bunny:
- Want us to help you?
Harakiri Tiger:
- We'd be happy to take a piece.
Natsuru:
- Can you even digest it with your guts hanging out like that?
Cyrus17 is offline   Reply With Quote