View Single Post
Old 2011-05-22, 18:56   Link #165
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
That's not necessarily the case. What if the big reveal that Menma was going to make to the rest of the "Super Peace Busters" on that eventful day was that she was enduring abuse at home, and was hoping that her teammates in the "Super Peace Busters" could save her from that?

If so, things start to tie together nicely, in my opinion.

And, to me, melodrama is about making a mountain out of a molehill, or about using an actual mountain for pure shock value alone. If handled correctly, a reveal about child abuse in this anime would not be just shock value, and it's a pretty serious issue that does happen in real life. I'd personally be impressed to see an anime tackle that issue with maturity and seriousness.
What could they do about it? So Menma was abused as a child. Assuming that's the case, there's nothing they can do about it now. Menma is dead, the mother is in a state of grief, and we basically haven't been exposed to her family for any other reason than to expand on the issue of moving on. Having that be the big issue moves the focus from the group to Menma and her family.

How do you think this ties things together? I don't understand how this would be a good decision from a thematic point of view. It could fit in plot-wise. Jintan could be diagnosed with cancer, and there would be a way to fit it in the plot. I don't think either of those fit into the story though, for similar reasons.

I don't know. I personally thought that melodrama was drama created for the sake of drama, regardless of whether or not it's a serious issue or whether or not it happens in real life. That being said, melodramatic or not, there are plenty of serious, real-life issues that I think wouldn't fit into this story.

Basically, I just think that, as an important revelation, it does nothing to further the relationship between the group and does nothing to expand on Menma's wish [in fact, it makes it much more complicated and starts bringing in outside elements], which are the two biggest issues in this anime and what everything has been revolving around.

Sorry if I'm rambling. I tend to do that.